Wind Energy Transmission Texas, LLC (WETT) has an immediate opening for a full-time Regulatory Manager position. The Regulatory Manager reports to the Vice President of Finance and is responsible for managing regulatory proceedings including rate cases, Interim Capital Additions (ICA), tariff revisions, Certificates of Convenience and Necessity (CCNs), and other regulatory filings before the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT). This position will strategically coordinate, prioritize, and manage regulatory processes among various stakeholders for the completion of cases at the PUCT or other state agencies as necessary. The Regulatory Manager also monitors developments at various regulatory bodies and the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) for potential impacts to the business, reports relevant activity and provides recommendations. Assignments are broad and may be complex in nature, requiring both a player and coach mentality. The Manager interprets business issues and recommends best practices.
• Maintains thorough knowledge of applicable regulations, rules and procedures.
• Acts as a primary contact for key regulatory agency staff. Builds relationships with regulatory agencies. Attends open meetings, serves on working groups at regulatory agencies, and engages in peer-level interaction with staff.
• Prepares sound analysis and documents and manages external and internal teams to support regulatory filings.
• Coordinates and project manages the filing of compliance and other reports with appropriate regulatory agencies. Ensures sufficient evidence is available to demonstrate compliance and provides recommendations as appropriate.
• Assists with the overall strategy for obtaining CCNs and/or rate recovery, in conjunction with executive management and counsel. Analyzes the economic and strategic impact on the organization as a whole and provides recommendations.
• Assists with the development and implementation of strategic plans to process a docketed case from the initiation of action through testimony, discovery, hearing, briefing and a final decision by a regulatory body. Coordinates among management, business, Accounting/Finance personnel and outside counsel.
• Supports efforts during regulatory rate, CCN, ICA and/or STM cases, including:
o Preparing and sponsoring testimony before governmental or regulatory agencies as needed;
o Assisting in preparing testimony of other key witnesses;
o Attending pre-hearing and technical conferences, hearings, and settlement meetings;
o Assisting in the preparation of RFI responses; and
o Managing the activities of outside consultants engaged to support regulatory projects.
• Monitors relevant contested cases and rulemakings at relevant agencies, especially the PUCT and ERCOT, including monitoring activity to identify relevant proceedings and reviewing and summarizing key testimony, briefs, statements, and decisions.
• Assist with ad hoc analysis as needed.
• Influence and monitor changes in regulatory rules and policy in order to protect the company's interests and ensure that changes are in line with direction of the Company. This is accomplished through communications with other utilities, agencies, analysis of rate orders and interaction with local, state and national associations.
Experience and Qualifications:
• A Bachelor's degree in business or a related field
• Minimum of 5 years of work experience with a utility, independent system operator, generator, energy-related business, or utility regulatory agency
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience related to regulatory compliance in the above listed businesses is preferred
• Working knowledge of PUCT rules and ERCOT protocols required
• Transmission experience preferred
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to apply them for activities tracking, documentation and project management
• Ability to program and project manage multiple deliverables with internal and external stakeholders
• Excellent computer skills, including MS Excel, Word and Power Point
• Ability to balance a high attention to detail with strategic business needs
• Independent, self-driven, self-starter, and strategic thinker
• Team player
• Leadership capabilities including the ability to influence, build and maintain trust, and communicate clearly
• Ability to evaluate critical data to identify root causes, seek appropriate expertise, and resolve or facilitate resolution
• Ability to effectively work in a collaborative, matrix team environment, sharing ideas and information, and seeking out collaboration and advice as needed
• Ability to effectively present information, respond to questions and interact with top management, managers, and employees within the organization
• Effective oral and written communication skills