SYSTEM OPERATOR / SR. SYSTEM OPERATOR
Wind Energy Transmission Texas, LLC (WETT) has an immediate opening for a full-time System Operator position reporting to the Operations Manager. This position is responsible for operating WETT transmission and interconnection facilities continuously 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Ensure the operation of assets adhere to all Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and Texas Reliability Entity (TRE) compliance standards and practices and is consistent with best utility practice. In addition, this position is responsible for the safety of personnel working on the system and the reliability of the system under the Operator’s control. This position protects against the exposure of penalties and fines associated with non-compliance of the NERC Reliability Standards.
Duties & Responsibilities
Monitor, support, and sustain the reliable and compliant operation of the power system.
- Responsible for operating the transmission and interconnection facilities in a manner that ensures the reliability of the Bulk Electric System, while simultaneously maintaining a high degree of safety for maintenance and production personnel, generating, transmission, and distribution equipment.
- Accountable for monitoring and operating the transmission assets of an independent power system within the federally mandated requirements of the NERC reliability standards (Must be NERC System Operator certified with at least a Transmission Operator certificate or able to obtain NERC Certification within six (6) months of hire date).
- Manage and communicate the outage of transmission assets while minimizing the disruption of generation or interchange transactions and maintaining compliance with regulatory and safety requirements.
- Monitor, operate and maintain the interconnected power system within Security Operating Limits (SOL) and to a high degree of safety for personnel and protection for all assets (generation, transmission, and distribution).
Major Activities/Key Challenges
- Monitor and operate the WETT transmission facilities.
- Accountable for the safe, reliable and compliant operation of the Bulk Electric System.
- Responsible for continual decision-making to ensure that the transmission system is operated consistent with NERC Reliability Standards.
- Manage problems on the system, including the shedding of firm load.
- Direct transmission and interconnection assets while maintaining compliance with regulatory and safety requirements.
- Maintain NERC System Operator certification, Transmission Operator minimum.
- Operate the SCADA/EMS Control system(s) to ensure compliance with its contractual and ERCOT/TRE/ Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT) obligations.
- Responsible for all switching performed for operations and safety of maintenance personnel.
- Responsible for the restoration of the power system after a disturbance and/or the protective device operations in a timely manner.
- Implement and ensure adherence to Safety Standards during high-voltage switching and maintenance operations.
- Direct and/or perform high-voltage switching operations during normal and disturbance conditions.
- Produce and issue written clearance order procedures for the safe and orderly elimination of high-voltage hazards for maintenance personnel while maintaining equipment safety and integrity.
- Provide direction to maintenance and operating personnel during instances of abnormal system conditions and/or system alarms to troubleshoot any issues.
- Monitor and maintain power systems within normal operating parameters to prevent disturbances.
- Accumulate and analyze operating data to be utilized in periodic regional and national reports.
- Coordinate, communicate, and cooperate with interconnected Utilities and ERCOT to maintain the stability and integrity of the interconnected power grid.
- Fill all requirements and responsibilities of a Transmission Operator as per the NERC Standards according to the NERC and ERCOT registration(s).
- Responsible for coordinating outages of transmission and interconnection assets with ERCOT and surrounding utilities to support maintenance and construction activities while maintaining stable, reliable and safe operation of power system assets.
Essential Knowledge & Skills/Education
- Two (2) year Technical School education/degree preferred.
- Must have and maintain a NERC Transmission Operator or higher Certification or able to obtain NERC Certification within six (6) months of hire date.
- Minimum of five (5) years in power system operations or related field experience or knowledge received through formal education, training and/or experience operating and/or maintaining power facilities.
- Knowledge of NERC and other federal regulatory compliance requirements as well as other federal, state and local regulatory requirements is required.
- Experience and knowledge of current ERCOT and TRE standards, operating policies, procedures, and guidelines preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of interconnected transmission system operations, generation characteristics, and electric utility power system control systems and practices.
- Excellent computer, oral and written communication, interpersonal skills, and be capable of functioning calmly in emergency situations.
- Must be able to perform independently under all operating conditions.
- Knowledge of impact of weather related events and operation of other facilities on the company assets.
- Results driven and accountable for actions.
- Able to accept responsibility, make appropriate decisions, and prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects concurrently.
- Demonstrate strong problem solving skills and be able think independently and be able to adjust to constantly changing conditions.
- Candidates must be willing to work 12 hour rotating shift schedules and be available for call-outs, as necessary.
Please please email resumé with cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this position.