TRANSMISSION PLANNING ENGINEERING ASSOCIATE
Wind Energy Transmission Texas, LLC (WETT) has an immediate opening for a full-time Transmission Planning Engineering Associate position. This position reports to the Transmission Planning Supervisor and is responsible for providing transmission planning and development expertise. The position provides analytical competencies that enhance WETT’s ability to adhere to all Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and Texas Reliability Entity (TRE) compliance standards. The Transmission Planning Engineering Associate is responsible for performing planning studies to help support capital investment decisions. In addition, this position engages ERCOT and other utilities in discussions regarding system conditions and planning assessments and recommendations. This position also provides support to the Transmission Planning Supervisor to perform and review transmission planning studies and support WETT’s compliance efforts for the Transmission Operator and Transmission Planning Functions.
Provide engineering and analytical expertise to support the reliable and compliant planning of the WETT transmission system.
- This position will play a major role in seeking development opportunities for WETT through transmission planning studies and relationships with other utilities.
- Performing transmission planning steady state assessments for the Annual Planning Study and in support of development of the WETT transmission system.
- Ensure WETT facilities are properly modeled in the ERCOT Steady State Working Group (SSWG) case building and update processes, including but not limited to the review and updates of the Steady State Contingency file and Data Dictionary.
- Ensure WETT facilities are properly modeled in the ERCOT real-time operational model by submitting Network Operations Model Change Requests (NOMCRs).
- Assist in managing the generation interconnection Full Interconnection Study (FIS) process.
- Supporting the ERCOT SSWG, Voltage Profile Working Group (VPWG), and Network Data Support
Working Group (NDSWG).
- Assist in the review of Planning Procedures to ensure compliance with NERC Reliability Standards
and ERCOT Nodal Protocols and Planning Guides.
- Develop, maintain and review Reliability Standard Audit Worksheets (RSAWs).
- Additional responsibilities may include:
- Learning to perform Short Circuit studies.
- Supporting the System Protection Working Group (SPWG).
Major Activities/Key Challenges:
- Perform transmission planning studies to support the compliance, development and expansion of the WETT transmission system.
- Support ERCOT Working Group case building and updates.
- Udates of Planning Procedures.
- Development and updates of RSAWs.
- Represent the Planning Supervisor at NERC/ERCOT/TRE meetings and other industry forums as delegated.
Essential Knowledge & Skills/Education:
- BSEE required.
- EIT preferred.
- Proficiency with Python (or similar) required.
- Power Flow knowledge and experience preferred (PSS/E, PowerWorld, etc.).
- Prefer in-depth knowledge of the ERCOT transmission system and relationships between ERCOT
Transmission Service Providers (TSPs).
- In-depth knowledge of interconnected transmission system operations. Strong understanding of
power system operation, including system disturbance and fault analysis, preferred.
- Experience with and knowledge on current NERC, FERC, and other Reliability organization
standards, procedures, and guidelines.
- Experience with and knowledge of current ERCOT and TRE standards, procedures, and guidelines
- Must have excellent computer, oral and written communications, interpersonal skills, and be
capable of functioning calmly in emergency situations.
- Results driven and accountable for actions.
- Able to accept responsibility, make appropriate decisions, and prioritize and handle multiple tasks
and projects concurrently.
- Must demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and be able think independently and be able to
adjust to constantly changing conditions.
Ideal candidate will be a team player with a positive attitude. We offer an excellent benefits package in a challenging and rewarding environment. Please please email resumé with cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this position.